Any person that operates a business in the City of Greenacres needs to have a business tax receipt issued by the City. The City of Greenacres tax is applicable to commercial businesses and home based businesses. Remember to submit a copy of your Articles of Incorporation and/or Fictitious Name Registration if applicable. If State Licenses and/or State Certifications are needed for the scope of the business you need to include copies of those as well. All new Commercial Businesses will require a safety inspection that includes Fire, Building, Electrical, and Plumbing. A $60.00 fee will be required for the safety inspection.
For home based businesses you need to check with other agencies including the Homeowners Associations for additional approvals and/or restrictions on conducting business activities from a place of residence. The issuance of a City Business Tax Receipt does not relive the homeowner from the responsibility to comply with other agency regulations.
Greenacres tax application requires:
- City of Greenacres Business Tax Receipt (“BTR”) application, Palm Beach County (“PBC”) BTR application. PBC requires their application to be signed by the City of Greenacres prior to submitting it to the county.
- BTR fee as determined by the type of business
- Proof of registered business name, if other than your own full legal name
- Copy of State License, if business is regulated by a state agency i.e. Department of Business & Professional Regulation, Department of Health, Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services etc.
- Federal Employer Identification number (FEIN) or Confidential Release of Social Security Number and Statement of Purpose affidavit
Home Based Business
City of Greenacres code section 16-740 has the following regulations:
- The use of the dwelling unit for a home occupation shall be clearly incidental and subordinate to its use for residential purposes by its occupants, and shall under no circumstances change the residential character thereof.
- No person other than those legally residing on the premises shall be engaged in such home occupation at the premises.
- Home occupations shall not occupy more than fifteen (15) percent of the first floor area of the residence, exclusive of the area of any open porch or attached garage or similar space not suited or intended for occupancy as living quarters or 250 square feet, whichever is less.
- There shall be no change in the outside appearance of the building or premises, or other visible evidence of the conduct of such home occupation except one (1) home occupation sign per dwelling may be erected as a wall sign that is parallel to the frontage street. The maximum size of such sign shall be one square foot in copy area.
- No traffic, including but not limited to deliveries, shall be generated by such home occupation in greater volumes than would normally be expected in a residential neighborhood, and any additional need for parking generated by such home occupation shall be met off the street.
- No equipment or process shall be used in such home occupation which creates noise, vibration, glare, fumes, odors or electrical interference detectable to the normal senses off the lot. In the case of electrical interference, no equipment or process shall be used which creates visual or audible interference in any radio or television receivers off the premises. There shall be no storage of hazardous or noxious materials on the site of the home occupation.
- No activity of a home occupation involving the storage, and/or outdoor storage, or window display or merchandise, is permitted. No stock involved in the trade shall be displayed or maintained on the premises.
- No home occupation shall be conducted in any accessory building.
- A home occupation shall be subject to all applicable City Business Tax Receipts, and other permits and approvals as necessary.
- No retail or wholesale sales shall be conducted on premises used in a home occupation.
- Family daycare facilities limited to no more than five (5) children are on the premises at any time, inclusive of all children residing in the home. All family daycare facilities shall possess all licenses and/or approvals as required by federal, state and/or local laws and ordinances.